Putting it all together
  Now let's see how this thing goes together. I've installed the crutch and when doing so, I had the wing fixtured and gently moved the crutch in and out and made sure it fit in freely so no stress is built in then, it's glued in with a slow drying epoxy.
  I've formed the bottom block from 4 lb wood and milled in the air ducts, note that I glued in a piece of 1/16" balsa cross grained over the controls to act as a rip stop to keep the landing pressure from the gear, cracking down the grain and poping into the controls. There is also a filler piece of balsa between the engine compartment and control area.
  Next photo shows the tail skid block ( 1.3 gm ) that extends down to the wing, made by laminating the 1/32" wire in a ply core and then glue 1/64" ply on both sides with 1/8" balsa filler sanded down the match the inside contour of the bottom shell. Check to make sure it doesn't restrict the control horn movement. When glued in place it will extend through the shell, I want the wing to take most of the load not the thin shell, the shell and skid added 7 gm.
  Below shows the bottom shell glued into place with slow drying epoxy. I'll let it set for 12 hours before removing from the fixture plate to prevent any distortion.
  Above is a pic of the top shell, I've added another lamination of 1/16" balsa to areas infront of and behind the bulkhead, these are the holding points when pitting and need alittle extra strength, the front area and bulkhead are then glassed with 1.4 oz cloth, weight 6.5 gm.
  To the left is the start of carving a block for the engine cowl, I wasn't happy with the shape of the shell I had originally made.
  The next pic is showing the method I use to make the joint between the cowl and fus., it works on stunt ships, no reason it won't work here. I start by taping the fus with Scotch tape and wax with some mold release wax. The ext shows a bead laid down about an eighth inch wide with a cake barkers funnel made from paper and tape then, position the cowl onto the fus.
  Below is the canopy I vacuum formed over the engine shell to get that just right fit.
  The right is the start of getting the cowl hold downs in place. I've tapped the crutch for 1-72 screws, harded them with CA and machined up some grabers from aluminum. I taped ontop of the crutch with Scotch tape and screwed on the grabers then, cut the holes in the cowl, alittle oversized, applied some JB Weld into the holes and placed the cowl over the grabers and taped down until cured. Don't forget to put something in the screw holes in the grabers so they don't fill up with epoxy.
  Note that the tank mount is in place, weight .8 gm and also shown is the gear and box that I will install after I chuck up the model in the mill and mill out the slot for it. It will be positioned with the wheel axis in line with the leadind edge of the wing and 3/8" inboard offset from the C/L of the fus.
  Also a note, if you look just before the leading edge of the wing, between the engine bearers, there was  block of wood installrd and then angled downward from the leading edge to a point equal to the bottom of the exhaust, this is some of Lambert's AIR MANAGEMENT.
  Model shown to the right before finishing, weight 160gm.
Finished model and final thoughts
Click for